Prerequisite: 2SLGBTQ Foundations course
Duration: 3.5 hours
Content Level: Beginner
Target Audience: All health care and social service providers who provide counselling and advocacy in a variety of settings. This program is tailored for practitioners who work with trans, non-binary and gender non-conforming children and youth.
Fee: CAN $10
IMPORTANT: There is NO refund or exchange for cancellations.
Summary: Introductory cultural humility and competence module for health care and social service providers with little or no experience working with trans, non-binary, or gender non-conforming children and youth up to 18 years old.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the concepts of gender identity, gender expression, and gender dysphoria accurately
- Recognize how cisnormativity influences healthcare and healthcare access
- Identify social determinants of health and the impact of transphobia for trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming children and youth
- Provide trans-positive counselling in the context of interpersonal and systemic discrimination that affects mental health
- Explore with parents of trans and non-binary youth common misconceptions about gender identity and expression
- Explore gender expression and gender identity with clients who are at the beginning of their journey
Please note that capacity is limited to 30 learners per session to ensure a good learning environment.
Tuesday, October 17 - 1 pm to 4:30 pm (EST) Cancelled
Thursday, November 23 - 9 am to 12:30 pm (EST)
Wednesday, December 13 - 1 pm to 4:30 pm (EST)
Wednesday, January 17th - 1 pm to 4:30pm (EST)