Prerequisite: 2SLGBTQ Foundations course
Duration: 3 hours
Content Level: Beginner
Target Audience: All health care and social service providers who provide counselling and advocacy in a variety of settings. This program is tailored for practitioners who work with trans, non-binary and gender non-conforming adults and seniors. Health care and social service students are welcome to take this course.
Fee: CAN $10
IMPORTANT: There is NO refund or exchange for cancellations.
Summary: Introductory cultural humility and competence module for health care and social service providers with little or no experience working with trans, non-binary, or gender non-conforming adults and seniors.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain the concepts of gender identity, gender expression, and gender dysphoria accurately
- Recognize how cisnormativity influences health care and health care access
- Identify social determinants of health and the impact of transphobia for trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming adults and seniors
- Provide trans-positive mental health care in the context of interpersonal and systemic discrimination that affects mental health
- Unpack common counselling issues through the lens of intersectionality and minority stress
- Explore gender expression and gender identity with clients who are at the beginning of their journey
Please note that capacity is limited to 20 learners per session to ensure a good learning environment.
TBD or upon request for groups of 15 or more learners